Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I Went To See Life

I went to see life in the big World out there
To join in the swollen ranks of the those from elsewhere
But since the biological clock it has become my foe
And i am no better off now than i was years ago

For my lack of success i only have myself to blame
Though it feels heartening to me that i will not die in shame
And though the thought of death is a thing i do fear
Of any wrongdoing to others my conscience is clear

Of the home of the badger and brown river trout
My journey in life has taken me far south
To the place of the black wallaby, emu, koala and grey kangaroo
And the white long billed corella and the yellow tailed black cockatoo

Yet i envy the stay at home people and their strong sense of place
In familiar surroundings every challenge in life they do face
Quite happy to live where they are well known
The individuals referred to as one of our own

My journey in life has me far away
From where i first looked on the bright lamp of day
Where old Clara Mountain does ever look down
On the green countryside just west of Millstreet Town.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Francis Duggan,

    We need the permission to use one of your poem "The Devotion to Patriotism" in our textbook "Language through Literature". Which is going to be published by Orient Blackswan Private limited a publisher.

    Can you please reach out to me at "semab.saidy@orientblackswan.com" to discuss this further.

    I am eagerly looking forward for your response.

    Best Regards,
    Semab

    ReplyDelete